Books for Life
Books Collected & Donated to Organizations Serving Children in Need
For families struggling to put food on the table, books are an unaffordable luxury. And in many of our F-to-F communities, the nearest library is hours away. So if you have shelves full of books you no longer look at, or that your children or students no longer read, consider sending them to us here at Family-to-Family, where they will enrich lives as they encourage a love of reading and learning.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what you have to donate, and then ship them to us. We’ll distribute them to local nonprofit organizations that work with children. Some outreach centers have set up lending libraries in extra rooms (or closets) for donated books. Some distribute the books at home visits, or when families pick up their food boxes.
- Our shipping address is: Family-to-Family Books for Life/PO Box 255/Hastings on Hudson, NY/10706
- You can send your own books, your classroom books, or collect books.
- Ask your local book store, or library, to donate books.
- Put an ad in your neighborhood paper asking for book donations.
- Because some populations may have cultural and/or religious sensitivities, we ask that you email us with a list of book titles so we can identify the best recipient organization for your books, as well as make sure we aren’t sending multiple copies of the same books to the same place.
You may want to raise money to pay for the cost of shipping the books. You can ask the individuals or businesses donating the books to each contribute a few dollars, or you can go to a local business that has a shipping department, and ask if they would be willing to pay for the shipping of your boxes as an in-kind contribution. Or perhaps your kids or students will want to join in the effort and help raise the shipping funds with bake sales or a yard sale. Note that the U.S. Postal Service has a media rate, which is significantly cheaper than sending a 1st-class package.
Remember, the books you send can look gently used, but please not abused!
USEFUL BOOKS TO SEND
- First Aid/Medical Reference
- Dictionaries and Thesaurus
- Other Reference Books
- How-To: Crafts, Sewing, Home Improvement
- Baby (soft, chewable)
- Toddler (board books)
- Picture Books
- First Readers
- Chapter Books
- Teen Non-fiction
- Teen Fiction (not too racy, please)
- Brain Quests and Flash Cards
- Children’s Videos
A FEW COMMENTS ABOUT “BOOKS FOR LIFE” DONATIONS:
“The books are wonderful! The children are especially enjoying the Dr. Seuss books. When they come into the pantry with their parents, they sit down and look at them and when they are ready to leave, I let them pick one out to keep. Our women are especially interested in recipe books and many ranchers like to read westerns in the winter. We are just grateful for all you have sent.”
“What a pleasant surprise to receive the books you sent. Actually, they couldn’t have come at a better time. Kids and teachers need a little extra motivation as the year winds down. You sent enough Goosebumps books to make a whole class of 6th graders very happy. They selected their own and some delved right into them!”
“The books have been wonderful! We give them out on home visits. This helps the visiting teachers, visiting nurses, and home health care visitors grow closer in the relationships in the homes. Also many have been added to our library for people to come in and check out. This also gives the parents something for their children to do if they want to work on the computers or have an appointment.”
“Your shipment of books has been wonderful. Thank you so very much. The children’s selection is especially popular…What a blessing your gift of books is!”