Books for Life
Children’s Books Collected & Donated to Communities in Need
For families struggling to put food on the table, books are an unaffordable luxury. And in many of our F-to-F communities, the nearest library is hours away. So if you have shelves full of books you no longer look at, or that your children or students no longer read, consider sending them to one of our communities, where they will enrich lives as they encourage a love of reading and learning.
- Contact us at email@example.com and we’ll give you the name and address of an outreach worker in one of our communities where you can ship the books. Some outreach centers have set up lending libraries in extra rooms (or closets) for donated books. Some distribute the books at home visits, or when families pick up their food boxes. Or you can send your books to a school in one of the communities we serve.
- You can send your own books, your classroom books, or collect books.
- Ask your local book store, or library, to donate books.
- Put an ad in your neighborhood paper asking for book donations.
- Because some of our communities may have cultural and/or religious sensitivities, as well as to help us ensure that every donation is sent to where it is most useful, we ask that you email us with a list of book titles so we can make sure we aren’t sending multiple copies of the same book to the same place.
You may want to raise money to pay for the cost of shipping the books. You can ask the individuals or businesses donating the books to each contribute a few dollars, or you can go to a local business that has a shipping department, and ask if they would be willing to pay for the shipping of your boxes as an in-kind contribution. Or perhaps your kids or students will want to join in the effort and help raise the shipping funds with bake sales or a yard sale. Note that the U.S. Postal Service has a Media Mail rate which can be used when sending books to a registered nonprofit which is significantly cheaper than sending a 1st-class package.
Remember, the books you send can look gently used, but please not abused!
USEFUL CHILDREN’S BOOKS TO SEND
- Baby (soft, chewable)
- Toddler (board books)
- Picture Books
- First Readers
- Chapter Books
- Teen Non-fiction
- Teen Fiction (not too racy, please)
- Brain Quests and Flash Cards
- Children’s Videos
A FEW COMMENTS ABOUT “BOOKS FOR LIFE” DONATIONS:
“The books are wonderful! The children are especially enjoying the Dr. Seuss books. When they come into the pantry with their parents, they sit down and look at them and when they are ready to leave, I let them pick one out to keep. Our women are especially interested in recipe books and many ranchers like to read westerns in the winter. We are just grateful for all you have sent.”
“What a pleasant surprise to receive the books you sent. Actually, they couldn’t have come at a better time. Kids and teachers need a little extra motivation as the year winds down. You sent enough Goosebumps books to make a whole class of 6th graders very happy. They selected their own and some delved right into them!”
“Your shipment of books has been wonderful. Thank you so very much. The children’s selection is especially popular…”
“What a blessing your gift of books is!”